Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gifts That Give Back: Operation Christmas Child

Hey everyone!

So, this blog post is about something that is very close to my heart--giving back.  The holiday season is coming up (or, if you're me, in full swing!), and it's the perfect time to start giving back to those less fortunate.  I don't know how many of you have been with me since the beginning, but the first posts I ever did on this blog were Gifts That Give Back posts (which you can find here).  I love the feeling I get when I know I'm helping somebody else.  

This post is all about Operation Christmas Child, which is put on my the company Samaritan's Purse. This company does something amazing--they deliver Christmas presents to less fortunate children both in the United States and internationally.  All you have to do is shop for the gifts--which you can do very inexpensively, I went to the Dollar General and Target and only spent $35 on Christmas gifts for 5 kids.  Although I'm a "broke college student," this is the kind of thing I'm happy to spend money on.  You pack the boxes and take them to your closest drop off location (which you can find here), and they take care of the rest!  I wanted to get this post up, because the last day to drop the boxes off is November 19, 2012 this year! I know it's a little last minute, but it honestly took me 30 minutes to shop, pack and label the boxes!  
So, I'm going to give you all a little look at what I've packed in my boxes this year!

You can use either shoe boxes or small plastic bins to pack your boxes--I didn't have any shoe boxes so I bought these small bins from the Dollar General for $1 each!

Now, the fun part--PICKING OUT THE TOYS!
There are some restrictions on what you can and cannot put into a box--no weapons, chocolate, etc.  You can find a full list of ideas of what to and not to pack here.  
Here's what I bought for the kids--I bought some things for boys and girls, as well as some for younger kids and some for older!

For Boys:



For Girls:



I also threw in a coloring book for everybody!  Now, all you have to do is pack your boxes.  Wrapping isn't required, but I picked up some holiday themed tissue paper to put the gifts in inside the box, just to be a little more festive!


Now, download and print your shipping labels, cut them out, tape them to your box and mark the age/gender!


Now, they do ask that for each box, you make a $7 donation for shipping costs.  You can either do this by putting the money in an envelope and placing it in the top of the box, or you can make a donation online.  You can read more about this on their website (linked above!).

Now, you're done! And you've just given a child a wonderful Christmas!



I hope you all check out Operation Christmas Child!  Let me know in a comment if you have ever made a box for them, or if you plan to!

What's your favorite way to give back during the holidays?
Comment and let me know!

xo Sarah






4 comments:

  1. Hey! What a good idea! Do you know if they do this in other countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,
      I think its a worldwide initiative as I've done it in England before and have heard of it being done in Europe. Such a nice thing to do!

      Delete
    2. I looked on Samaritin's Purse's website and it didn't have any drop off locations outside of the United States, but I'm sure there are some organizations that do the same thing internationally!

      Thanks for reading <3
      xo Sarah

      Delete
  2. your gifts looks very beautiful..its nice you are doing this..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all so much for coming to check out my blog! I read every one of your comments, and I can't wait to hear from you! If you have any other questions or requests or anything, feel free to email me at itsagirlsworld54@yahoo.com ! :)
xoxo Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...